Saturday, February 28, 2015

14 Days to 26.2!

The excitement is building!  We can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.... It has been a long training season and after completing our 20 mile training run last Saturday, 14 today was a piece of cake!  The girls (and alumni boys, Kiefer, Armando and Jacob) are prepared and now it is time to taper and get all of our ducks in a row for a successful race day.  Jacob made us some awesome new J-Town Running Club posters which will be featured in our next pictures and today we fitted for our race singlets.  Just need to book the vans, get the dinner menu, First Aid kits, race day food and course support station goodies.... and... everything else I am forgetting. ;) it will be a busy 14 days.   

Kiefer is another one of our alumni joining us this year.  This will be Keifer's third marathon.  He is calm and cool out there on the course and well, everyday.  It is great to have Kiefer out with us.  As we were waiting for the start of the 18 mile race a few weeks ago I asked Keifer what he goal for the race was and he said, in true Kiefer fashion, "whatever is fine, I just want to have fun."  I love it!  
Below is Kiefer's response to the "Why I joined Running Club" question.
              
My name is Kiefer; I am currently going to Cerritos College for the second year and want to be a Physical Education teacher by taking Kinesiology Major. I am taking this major because I love to move, learn various sports, and spread the importance of exercising in our lives. I am in the third year of running with Jordan Running Club and we are currently training for Los Angeles Marathon. The reason why I joined the running club is that wanted to gain friends, lose weight, and I am just intrigued why people run such long distance. Jordan Running Club is very important to me. They help me to be more discipline, and make good choices. For instance, eating vegetables and fruits instead of buying fast foods. Most importantly, we became family that supports and respects each other. I run because running brings me joy, made me feel that I am alive, it became my stress reliever, and I just love competing against myself by improving my personal record every race. When I get my degree as a Physical Education teacher, I want to make an impact, help the young generation to gain a healthy lifestyle by educating them on the importance of eating fruits and vegetables and exercising regularly.

Below are pictures from the 18 Mile Friendship Run courtesy of Disney and the film McFarland.  
 Arisbeth
 Armando
 Carla
 Ms. Del Cid
 Kiefer and Jackie finish
 Jackie
 Jackie and Kiefer
 Kiefer
 Maoleng
 Maria A and Maria D
 Priscilla
 Sam
 Sam
 Sam
 Sreyroth
Vicky
Sreyroth and Kim
Thanks for checking us out and for the support.
Donations can still be made and are much appreciated.
It can be mailed to:
Whitney Gomes
Jordan High School
6500 Atlantic Avenue
Long Beach, CA 90805

My dear friend Mr. John Bruna has set up a donation page on his Way of Compassion website.  Below is the link to the page.  Please check out Way of Compassion, it is a wonderful foundation.


All donations are tax deductible and receipts will be mailed.

No comments:

Post a Comment